I've used plywood for my last several boards and once I got beyond my solid-wood snobbery, I realized I like the ply and it makes for a quick and light build. It's not quite as strong as milled solid stuff, so the decks should get a patch. I'm continuing to explore my trend of smaller, narrower boards with pulled in noses and tails. This one will be 6-6, 20 inches wide and have a max thickness of about 2-5/8 inches. Originally I was going to give it a thumb tail with a thruster or tri set up, but during layout, the pencil and battens had other ideas. So, not a big surprise, it's going to be a single fin. I had several new ones lying around waiting for a board anyway.
Previous boards almost ended up with some funny flat lines along the rail that were hard to see during construction. I'm trying a new layout method by creating a fine flowing line using the chine strips, nose and tail blocks. These bits are glued to the bottom skin first along with the fin blocking. This way, the rail strips will follow a well sprung line and will hopefully eliminate flat spots.
The plywood ribs are next cut to fit exactly within the chines.
The milled ribs are now glued onto the bottom skin while on the rocker table.
When the clamps come off, then I'll install the top of the rib stringrs the central top stringer. I'm not going to use the conventional solid notched keel fitting over the ribs. I'll create a truss-like keel with top and bottom components. Should be lighter and I'm pretty sure, stiff enough. So far, this method has allowed me to create better fitting parts which will result in a very strong board with better flowing lines.
More to come....