Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bellyboards

After seeing some alaia boards a few years back I thought they looked like a fun building project.  So I bought some fence boards or scavenged old cedar house siding and glued up  a few blanks, and copied some shapes I had seen.  I make a bunch in the 4 to 5 foot range and started riding them as belly boards.  The funny thing is, these little boards have become my favorite type of alaia!  I grab my 4 footer and fins and head out into either a nice clean day or mushy high tide small surf - it does not matter.  I always find some sweet peelers either inside or outside in the lineup and usually get a couple nice little barrels.  They are so much fun and super simple.  They are much faster than a thick foam boogie board and way easier to paddle out and under bigger breaking waves.  I almost always carry one or two in the car. 





Fun tools for shaping






No comments:

Post a Comment